I would certainly call Week 1 of Pigskin and Ponies a success. Our NFL Picks went 3-1 and our best bet of the weekend in racing, given out at the NFL Kickoff Opening at Winners Bayonne won at Belmont and paid $24 to win. The fantasy football recommendations were also successful. Let's recap how we did:
Week 1 NFL Picks: 3-1
Overall Picks: 3-1
The Bears trounced the Colts as we expected, winning by 20. Marshall and the Bears running game were prominent, especially the "underrated" Michael Bush who scored 2 touchdowns
Our loss came in a game I probably should have stayed away from. Somehow, the Jets put up 48 points as the Bills looked like they never even had a practice together. The Jets didn't run the ball well, but surprisingly lit it up through the air. The Bills were never in the game.
New England easily dispatched Tennessee giving us our 2nd win of the weekend. My quote was "In order for the Titans to have a chance, Chris Johnson needs to come up big and don't think Bellichick doesn't know that." Chris Johnson ran the ball 11 times for 4 yards, hence the Titans lost, big.
The easiest game of the weekend was Houston of the Dolphins, as once the Texans turned it on, the game was over in a matter of minutes. As expected, the Dolphins couldn't contain Andre Johnson or penetrate the Texans defense which was all over the field.
1. Jay Cutler (Start) - Ended up a top 5 QB in week 1, finishing with more fantasy points than Vick, Stafford, Manning, Manning, Newton, Brady and Roethlisberger.
2. Pierre Garcon (Start) - This was bittersweet. Garcon had 108 Yards receiving, including an 88 yard TD score in the first quarter, but left due to a foot injury and did not return. The way Griffin ran that offense, he was in line for a MONSTER day. Still, nothing wrong with the performance we got.
3. Kyle Rudolph (Start) - This was a sleeper tight end pick, and it wasn't bad at all. Although he didn't score, Rudolph gave you 5 catches for 67 yards, or 11.7 points in a PPR league. Nothing wrong with that from a Rookie TE that went undrafted in many fantasy drafts.
4. Kevin Smith (Start) - Smith finished up a Top 10 RB this week. Although he only carried the ball 13 times, he averaged nearly 5 yards per carry and also caught 4 passes for 29 yards. Best of all he gave you 2 touchdowns for a score of 19.1 points in a PPR League.
5. Desean Jackson (Sit) - His 4 catches for 77 yards was not a bad day, for 11.7 points. But he didn't score and he should have performed better as Maclin missed some time due to a minor injury. Vick's dismal performance did not help either.
6. Donald Brown (Sit) - His touchdown saved what would have been a poor day as he carried just 9 times for 48 yards, with no catches. But his TD gave him 10.8 points which was better than I expected.
7. Alfred Morris/Evan Royster/Roy Helu (Sit) - Well, we were right on Royster and Helu who barely touched the ball. But Morris became the workhorse, carrying the ball 28 times for 96 yards and 2 TD's. The problem is, it's hard to predict what Shanahan will do, although another performance like this makes Morris hard to ignore.
Meadowlands Racing & Entertainment - 1 Racetrack Drive - East Rutherford, NJ 07073 - Call us at (201) THE-BIGM
©2016 New Meadowlands Racetrack, LLC. All rights reserved.